Seva Dhari Program
Become a Sat Yoga Seva Dhari
Experience a life-changing opportunity to deepen and accelerate your spiritual growth, Dharma combat abilities, and meditation practice while helping to build a strong visionary community dedicated to inner transformation and cultural renaissance.
If you are serious about your spiritual development, willing to do intensive inner work, and you have the desire to offer the world an alternative to the current collapsing model of civilization, then come and immerse yourself for an extended period of service and study at the Sat Yoga Ashram in our new Seva Dhari program.
This service and study oriented course is open to all visitors who have successfully completed our Four Week Immersion Program.
Seva and Study
A seva dhari is one who is inspired to live for an extended period of open-hearted service in community while engaging in a deep transformational process of inner work, study, and meditation. A sevadhari lives the life of an ashram member (nivassi) in all ways, attending our community classes and activities, including individual transformation sessions, and in a part-time work schedule that allows ample time for personal reflection, meditation, creative interaction with the sangha, and enjoyment of nature at the ashram while offering help to the community through the egoless practice of karma yoga.
The Sat Yoga Ashram is now home to 25 permanent residents who are disciples and leaders of our spiritual order, and who form the core of our growing community. As a seva dhari, you will be integrated into the supportive environment of this monastic confraternity, and feel a part of its intense energy field and superorganismic power. A strong sense of being a member of a true family of mature, wise, and benevolent souls makes the experience at Sat Yoga intimate and enriching, a rite of passage into the emergence of a new and deeper sense of Self.
Sample Daily Schedule
At Sat Yoga, we understand that each being comes with a unique set of skills, life circumstances, and particular goals for his or her stay at the ashram. Therefore, each seva dhari will have a program that is designed to best suit both the visitor and the ashram. Specifics of scheduling and work placement are discussed upon arrival; however, in general, a seva dhari will work from three to five hours per day in areas of daily ashram operations, such as cooking and food preparation, cleaning, gardening, and maintenance. Seva dharis are required to participate in our daily classes in the early morning and evenings as well as any other general gatherings (retreats, Meditation Weekends, or other special events) happening during their stay.
- 4:00 – 4:45am – Morning Meditation
- 5:00 – 8:00am – Free Time or Asana Class
- 8:00 – 8:30am – Breakfast
- 8:35 – 9:20am – Seva: Kitchen Clean Up
- 9:30 – 1:00pm – Seva: Lunch Preparation, Garden Work, Harvest Processing
- 1:00 – 1:45pm – Lunch
- 1:45 – 2:30pm – Seva: Kitchen Clean Up
- 2:30 – 5:30pm – Free Time
- 5:30 – 7:00pm – Evening Class
- 7:00 – 7:30pm – Evening Meal
- 9:00pm – Lights Out
Duration of your stay
After fulfilling the general prerequisites (see below), an applicant can apply to become a seva dhari for one to three months. In certain instances we may consider a longer or shorter stay.
At the end of each month, we will have an evaluation meeting and determine any modifications to the program. If it becomes clear that one cannot manage the schedule or follow the Dharma (rules of ethical behavior) or behave in accord with our quietistic way of life, or that for any other reason, the program is not working for either the visitor or the sangha (spiritual community), then the agreement may be terminated, and the visitor asked to leave.
General Prerequisites for prospective applicants:
- Completion of a one-month Ashram Immersion Program. Once you have completed this program, you may contact our visit coordinator about how to take the next steps to becoming a seva dhari.
- A sincere interest to deepen your spiritual transformation through meditation, processing and inner work and study, and a deep resonance with the Sat Yoga Ashram and way of life.
- Physical, mental, and emotional stability and fortitude and a genuine desire to practice a less egocentric mode of living.
- A commitment to uphold our Ashram Guidelines
- A commitment to serve approximately 20 – 30 hours a week Monday – Saturday; 1 hour on Sundays. The number of hours of work is correlated with the cost of the program.
- Attend weekly check-in meetings with the program coordinator
- Stay in shared accommodations
- The ability to adapt to our diet which is strictly vegetarian, with some gluten free and vegan options available. Although we aim to cater to everyone’s dietary needs and preferences, we cannot accommodate acute food sensitivities or allergies
- Be at least 18 years old by your prospective date of arrival
- Financial resources to cover your personal needs (including all insurances, medical care/emergencies, transportation to and from the ashram, and visa costs if coming from another country) and session fees for the duration of your stay
- An agreement to take part in ongoing/regular transformational healing (Atmanology) sessions. Please note, these have a separate cost.The number of sessions and frequency will be discussed with you in person upon arrival. Please be prepared to contribute $125/week for transformational sessions.
Please inquire with our visit coordinator for more information about this program or the cost.
Read our Seva Dhari Program Terms & Conditions.