Seva Dhari Program
Experience a life-changing opportunity to help build a unique visionary ecological/spiritual community designed to demonstrate a new form of sustainable social organization, centered on inner transformation and cultural renaissance. If you are serious about spiritual growth, are hard-working and skilled, and have the desire to offer the world an alternative to the current collapsing model of civilization then come and immerse yourself for an extended period of growthful service and study at the Sat Yoga Institute and Ashram.
A Seva Dhari is an elevated soul who, through deep inner work, devotion to God, psychological maturity, good karma, wisdom, and grace has achieved the level of consciousness in which one’s greatest delight comes from giving and serving rather than receiving and accumulating. A Seva Dhari is one who is inspired to live a life of altruistic service, open-hearted generosity, and intelligent assessment of how best to contribute to the great work of repairing the world and realizing the Self.
Come for 3 months to live in a beautiful mountain ashram in Costa Rica and participate in the development of a sustainable refuge of peace and harmony. This program is focused on transformation, study and seva (selfless service). You will be immersed fully into our resident yogi’s daily life that includes enriching ways of serving, wisdom classes and meditation sittings and much more.
The Seva Dhari Program Includes
- A 10-Day Imperience Retreat to begin your stay. This introductory period will be focused on offering you an induction into the fundamental teachings and transformational approach of the Sat Yoga Institute
- Ongoing participation in daily ashram wisdom and meditation classes and opportunities to study with Shunyamurti, whose wisdom and illumined presence can help reveal more fully the infinite power that is your true nature
- Full participation in all ashram and community classes and retreats/programs during your stay, as well as cultural events (visit our calendar here)
- 36 – 40 weekly hours of work as a regular Karma Yogi/Seva Dhari
- Weekly check-in meetings with a program coordinator
- Shared accommodations in our student housing (up to 3 in a room, shared bathrooms)
- All meals (vegetarian)
- 2 transformational healing (Atmanology) sessions in the first month
Sample Daily Schedule
4:00 – 5:25am – Morning Meditation and Class (or recorded teaching by Shunyamurti)
5:30 – 6:30am – Personal Time
6:30 – 8:00am – Karma Yoga/Seva (service) in an assigned area
8:00 – 8:45am – Breakfast
8:45 – 9:30am – Clean Up and Chores
9:30 – 1:00pm – Karma Yoga/Seva (service) in an assigned area
1:00 – 1:45pm – Lunch
1:45 – 2:30pm – Clean Up and Chores
2:30 – 5:30pm – Personal Time
5:30 – 7:00pm – Evening Class
7:00 – 7:30pm – Evening Meal
9:00pm – Lights Out
Studying at the Sat Yoga Ashram
The core of our ashram is the Sat Yoga Institute – a school for advanced studies in psycho-spiritual transformation grounded in the ever-evolving teachings of Shunyamurti, an extraordinary spiritual teacher in the Gyana Yoga (higher knowledge) tradition. We offer a profound synthesis of the most subtle wisdom-teachings of both East and West. The knowledge of the ancient yogic sciences has been faithfully translated by Shunyamurti into relevant, usable contemporary terms and integrated with the world’s religions, mythologies, and shamanic traditions, as well as the hard sciences and Western postmodern philosophical thought.
The Sat Yoga path leads to an accurate understanding of all levels of consciousness: it is a path that requires (and develops) the willingness and ability to think clearly and deeply, the courage to face painful issues, and the perseverance to transform and reach ever higher levels of spiritual potential. This deepening process of self-understanding, and of understanding reality as a whole, is cultivated through daily classes, study groups, reading assignments, creative classes and activities, individual transformational sessions, as well as our intensive retreats.
General requirements for prospective applicants:
- Physical, mental, and emotional stability and fortitude
- A sincere interest and, ideally, some experience in meditation, and a genuine desire to practice a less egocentric mode of living
- Familiarity and resonance with Shunyamurti’s teachings before applying . Ideally you will have read Shunyamurti’s book, “The Transformational Imperative” before arriving
(Buy The Transformational Imperative )
- A commitment to fully participate in community life through daily service shifts (e.g. washing dishes, cleaning shared spaces), all events, meetings, and classes
- A commitment to uphold our Ashram Guidelines
- An agreement to take part in ongoing/regular transformational healing (Atmanology) sessions
- A willingness to live in a remote location: we are 45 minutes drive from clinics, shops, and other services, and there is no regular shuttle service or public transportation directly to the ashram
- The desire and ability to make and fulfill a service commitment for a minimum of three months (including one-month trial period)
- Financial resources to cover your personal needs (including all insurances, medical care/emergencies, transportation, and visa costs if coming from another country) for the duration of your stay
- The ability to cheerfully cope with the challenges of living in a small, very active, and hard-working community
- The ability to adapt to our diet which is strictly vegetarian, with some gluten free and vegan options available. Although we aim to cater to everyone’s dietary needs and preferences, we cannot accommodate acute food sensitivities or allergies
- You must be at least 18 years old by your prospective date of arrival
- Above all, we’re looking for a willingness to work in a spirit of generosity, care, surrender and joyful participation
The cost of the program is $2900 for the first three months. The first month of the program is a Seva Dhari Introduction Program which includes a 10-day Imperience Retreat and costs $1200. Read our Seva Dhari Program Terms & Conditions.